Thursday, 9 September 2010


‘The Eight Fold Path - Part Two, Minus Two’ 2010. Bitumen, graphite, charcoal, on paper.
Inspired by the idea that a road or path is a record of those who have gone before.


My final exhibition of the yearlong residency at VARC opened on Saturday 4th September, and I have to say, it was a great success. The opening was well attended by around one hundred people and the compliments were genuine and many. I sold most of my drawing work, including a series of eight large panels that make up the artwork ‘The Eight Fold Path’. Much wine was drunk, nibbles were nibbled, and the sun even shined all day. It was all rather a blur for me though, not due to alcoholic beverages I may add, but to the overwhelming response to it all and the general opening nerves of an artist. I must confess I tend not to enjoy previews or openings, but I managed through all the nervousness to enjoy this one…in a blurry kind of way! I am really pleased with what I have achieved, the show had a real cohesive journey to it, and the use of space and different stables and barns made it into an ambulation around various artworks. This exhibition was particularly exciting for me, not only was it the fruits of my labour for one year in a beautiful location, but it is also technically speaking my first solo show.

I have to thank Gayle for being my right hand person whilst I manically ran around finishing installing the show and Andy for his fantastic chef skills, support and pink dressing gown humour. Huge thanks to Steve for working so hard, he not only finished filming for our film, but he also cut a sequence for an installation and edited a new ten minute version to be shown as the progression of ‘Jilly Goes North’. I also need to thank Steve for reminding me to breath.

I am not going to write much I’m just going to list the artworks and show all the pictures with a very brief description. There will be more blooogy blog in a while when I am feeling more coherent, I need to ride the exhaustion wave for a while. I’m not sure how many more blooooogys there will be, not many as it’s all nearly over, but there will at least be a final one to come. If anyone does want to buy a catalogue of my show, they are £5.00, let me know and I can bring some back to Bristol or post them off to wherever.

THE ARTWORKS


‘The Writing on the Wall’ 2010. Newspaper (Hexham Courant), thread, charcoal, graphite powder.
Motivated by the beautiful dry stone walls that undulate all over the landscape of Highgreen and the demise of farming traditions and the decline of stone wall building.



‘Road of Bones’ 2010. Bone, graphite, peat, clay, Indian ink
‘Road of Bones’ was developed from a fascination of finding dispersed carcasses whilst walking the fells.










‘Tarset Time-Line’
2009-2010. Wood
A walking stick that I carved into daily to mark my time at Highgreen.





‘Walking is Priceless’ 2009 –2010. PDQ terminal, heat-sensitive paper
The data collected over the duration of the residency with a pedometer was used to produce ‘Walking is Priceless’.





‘Feet That I Meet’, ‘My Feet’ & Nature Meets Tarmac’ 2010. Photographs
Documentation of people, myself and the roadside verges whilst out walking.




‘Walk The Line’ (detail) 2009 – 2010. Graphite, on paper

Moments from daily walks were documented through a series of daily sketches and combined with a written diary.








‘A Walk’ – 2010 film
A collaborative sequence made with Steve White documenting a walk.








‘Portunes’ Shower’ 2010. Donated keys, fishing line, bamboo
The title references the Roman God ‘Portunes’ who was originally a god of keys, doors, farm animals and stables.


‘On The Road’ 2010. Graphite, nylon string, labels, on paper
‘On the Road’ documents the journey travelled between Highgreen and Burdonside with a drawn-line on paper.

‘Textural Drawings’ 2009 –2010. Charcoal, pastels, graphite, shoe polish, graphite powder, graphite paste, on paper
In response to the different textures and layers perceived in the surrounding landscape, a series of drawings was developed through layering abstract marks.


‘The Eightfold Path: Part One’ 2009. Graphite, shoe polish, graphite powder, graphite paste, pastels, bitumen, thread, barbed wire, staples, lamb tags

The eightfold path is a Buddhist expression. The drawn panels in ‘The Eightfold Path’ are pathways representing both a physical and psychological journey.





‘Heart to Heart (Atma Flies)’ 2010 Reindeer skin, thread, graphite, surgical threads & needles, cotton, nylon, horsehair, staples, ink, graphite powder

‘Heart to Heart’ is the conclusion of a desire to make an artwork that encapsulates and expresses a long-felt fascination and personal connection to heart surgery.





‘Jilly Goes North’ 2009 – 2010 Film (In progress)

A collaborative film, made with film-maker Steve White, documents the experience of being an artist in residence for one year in Northumberland.

Blimey…..exhibition……done... bloooogy does not show all of the artworks but at least some to give an impression of the exhibition!

No comments: